Friday, October 12, 2018

The Robots are coming

This week in a Small Town Newsroom

Fergus is going on about the singularity again. He doesn't know that's what it's called, and I'm not going to encourage him and point it out, but that's what it is. He starts with how he'll never use one of those virtual assistants (He doesn't even have a cell phone) and then it devolves into him showing someone a video of a robot talking about taking over the world. He has done the same thing three times in the last month. (I am uncertain how the robots are going to get along with the lizard people.) He talked to me for five minutes one day this week about it. He 100% believes that it's going to happen. I have gray hair now.

Wakeen (our new reporter) had a fight with his wife. We got to hear ALL about it. He also got a call from the Bahamas. He assuredly informed me that when you get a call from the Bahamas, it's usually a scam. Usually? I and my friends are not the jet-setting types, so I can't say I've ever gotten a non-scam call from there.

I also found out he is in awe of the color printer. I was printing a proof of something, and it was taking FOREVER because the printer would print a page, then stop. He asked if it was two sided, and I said it was in color. He told me the last place he worked had a printer that could print in black and white AND in color. What a time to be alive.

I had an obit where the man's dog was mentioned. His children were not.

We got a very nasty email from a lady mad at Farquad. She wanted her church news in the paper, which we publish one day a week. He did not communicate this to her, and blew her off several times. Now she's mad, and my problem. I sent her an email apologizing without taking blame (which I'm fairly good at) and we'll see how she responds. (The answer - not well. Also, ad, like advertisement, only has one d.)

I think Fergus is trying to choke me out. He's smoking more than normal, and had a LONG conversation the other day standing behind my chair. I cannot hold my breath that long. I kept coughing, but he did not get the hint. I had to walk next  to his desk this morning to get to the fax machine, and I'm pretty sure there's a fog around his desk. He also messed with my papers yesterday. I suspect it's the nicotine on his fingers, but whenever he touches my papers, there's a stain. It's disgusting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment