Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Don't threaten me with a good time

I had a supervisor, Frank, come into my office (while I am in the middle of payroll) and tell me that half his crew is getting ready to quit. Morale is terrible.

Ok.

I'm not sure what he wants me to do about it. I did not yell at him, but I did get a little more forceful than I normally do, because stuff like this makes me hateful. I told him there's nothing I can do about it, and they're going to do what they think is best for them. It's mostly talk, but I will not be held hostage by a bunch of man babies who are upset they have to work a little overtime. No, it isn't ideal, but we are paying them very, very well for their troubles. And I'm keeping them in meals and snacks.

If they're going to quit, then quit. Fine. I will replace them and be happy to do it. Will it cause some trouble and disruption? Yes. Do I want them to quit? Of course not. But we are not going to play this game.

I will not be threatened.

This job is going to drive me to drink.

1 comment:

  1. Are you in charge of determining appropriate staffing? If not, why don't they take this to the person who is?

    (I suspect you should have yelled at Frank, because he probably knows all the stuff you just said but wants to complain to someone and no one else will listen. He probably thinks you are willing - or at least, a captive audience.)

    ReplyDelete