Wednesday, May 22, 2019

What is normal, anyway?

I've thought all this year that I'd have more free time when X happens. When I finally got a boss, when we switched to a new timekeeping system, when this or that happens. I thought everything would even out and I'd have a "normal" workday.

That hasn't happened yet. I hit six months at this job in two weeks, and it feels like it's been at least a year. I  feel like I've hardly paused for breath. I think that's been evident in how often I've been posting and the kind of content I've shared.

It was easy to post at the paper. There was always stuff going on to write about, but the cast was small and predictable. Here though, there's a lot I can't share. Partially because, being in HR, there's confidential material I'm dealing with. There's other stuff that's just too specific, and wouldn't make sense to people outside the building. The people are different. I see more people, and they're focused on their jobs. We don't share a lot about our personal lives. Both because they're professionals, unlike some others I've worked with in the past, and they have their lives, at least on the outside, more or less together.

I'm not going anywhere, because I really enjoy doing this. I miss it the weeks I can't get a post out. I need to take the time to do more things like this, because I really do love it. I've had some health issues recently, nothing too serious, but it's making the little time I have off all the more precious. I'm hopeful that I'll have a resolution soon, and start feeling better.

My living situation is also hopefully about to change, not necessarily for the better, because I love where I'm living now, but it's time for a change. When it does, I'll be taking a vacation from work for a week to get the move sorted out, because I am not dealing with that and work at the same time. No thank you.

I'm working on a way to label my coworkers similarly to how I did for the people at the paper, so I can include more details in my posts, instead of this person said this. The entire place is full of stories, I just need to figure out how to tell them.

1 comment:

  1. It's really lovely to read a more substantive update from you. Thanks for posting this.

    I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope you feel better ASAP! Being sick can be terrible for so many reasons.

    I will look forward to reading more stories from you about the interesting people and things that happen. Hide whatever you need. Think of it as a theatre piece, if that helps. Or a screenplay. Whatever you need to do. And it would be fun to have unusual and/or colorful names if you're up for that sort of thing. Maybe also throw in a Wakeen (in an extremely small role), just for giggles. Lolz.

    ReplyDelete