Wednesday, April 3, 2019

I got suspended

Yes, internet friends. This is not a clickbait title. Last week, I got suspended from my job. See, one day last week was my birthday. I love my birthday. I do not love being the center of attention. So I just didn't bother to mention it to anyone. Well, one of my coworkers that I know outside of work saw it on facebook, and outed me. My boss was not pleased.

Apparently, I was not supposed to work on my birthday. No one told me this. I knew if I wanted the day off, I could get it, but I did not want the day off. I had things to do, and people to see, and didn't want to take off a random day and then go right back to work. No thank you. Well, that was a big no-no, which culminated with my boss standing in my doorway saying that I'd been bad bad bad. And then he suspended me. I was not allowed at work on Friday. Now, I didn't exactly mind the long weekend, but it was presented as 'you will do this because you have brought shame upon yourself for keeping your birthday a secret.' So it didn't exactly feel like a yay, free day off kind of thing. More like what I imagine getting sent to the principal's office feels like. I don't know for sure. I never got sent to the principal's office.

Thankfully, I didn't miss too much work while I was gone. I did have forty something emails to contend with Monday morning, but that's sadly not outside the reasonable number. A little high, but I've had worse and more urgent things pop up on Monday mornings.

I still can't believe I got suspended. Honestly, I'm a little offended by it. More the fact that I'm one of the stubbornest people alive, and it was an ordered day off, not an offered one. I'm not trying to sound ungrateful, I know lots of people who don't have such a forgiving schedule, and have worked places *cough* the paper *cough* that didn't care what was going on, you were there or you were in trouble, and the leave/vacation/holiday schedule was a joke. I am grateful that this job is not like that.

I guess we'll see what happens next year!

2 comments:

  1. But...did you still get paid?

    I do not acknowledge my birthday, and to save everyone else the hassle of bringing in treats (that I don't want), I always take the day off. Since my birthday is conveniently the day after a holiday, it usually works out very well. Then again, I've been here long enough that any excuse for a day off will do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness gracious! I was worried at first, but now it just seems... ODD at best. Pretty strange. But I'm relieved that you're not actually in trouble! And now you know about this particular quirk.

    By the way -- happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete