Wednesday, November 7, 2018

I didn't mean to almost hit him

Hello, friends!

While I'm recovering from the coverage of election night (regardless of who's winning, an 11 p.m.  end, 45 minute drive, and 5:30 a.m. wakeup isn't very fun) I thought I'd tell you about the time I almost hit another reporter with my car.

This winter, we had a fairly snowy season. One day on my way to work, I started down a fairly steep hill. It had snowed a day or two before, but there wasn't much left on the ground. The truck in front of me started weaving a little, and I wondered what he was doing before I also started to slide. I thought for a second my brakes had gone out (again) but then I saw everyone else sliding. I tapped the brake like I was supposed to, but kept sliding. 

As I was careening what I was sure was going to be my slow and painful death, I noticed a reporter for one of the local news stations filming at the bottom of the hill. Right where my car was headed. I figured he'd, you know, move out of the way. But no. 

I got off the ice enough to aim away from him, and headed towards a police car (by accident) instead. I didn't hit that either, thank goodness, and got stopped off in a parking lot where I could take a minute to breathe. I got out and took a couple of pictures, one of which ended up on the front page, and was very thankful that I was not one of the people off in a ditch. 

I think I screamed the entire way down the hill, and certainly when I thought I was going to hit him or that cop car. I made it to work ok, just took a minute and put the car in four wheel drive and went on. Later, I checked the news station's website to see if the footage made it to the news. 

It's on twitter. I came really, really close to him, which it did show, but thankfully, my horrified face was not visible.

No comments:

Post a Comment